Saturday, March 23, 2013

Uterine Rupture Risk

So first of all....35 weeks!!!  When I was in the hospital 9 weeks ago I never, ever believed I would make it this far in the pregnancy.  Neil was born at 31 weeks, so I was sure I wouldn't go much more than 33 or 34 weeks.  But I'm halfway through 35 weeks and after seeing my doctor yesterday he says it's looking like I'll go another 2 weeks!  wow.

So anyways, at Thursday's ultrasound the doctor asked me what my birth plan was with my doctor.  I jokingly said, "go 40 weeks", to which her response was, "um, that's not necessarily a good idea".  Huh?

Since the beginning I've said I wanted to deliver this baby naturally.  We know this is possible because I delivered Riley naturally.  But, since Neil was born by c-section I do have a risk of uterine rupture (1%).  What I did not know is that if I don't spontaneously go into labor and the doctors induce me, the risk of rupture increases exponentially.  So basically if by 38 weeks I don't go into labor by myself they won't induce me and plan a c-section.

I just never considered that option because they induced me with Riley. But with Riley I was only 29 weeks and he was only 3 lbs, so even though I was induced it was a much smaller risk.

I really don't want a c-section (I remember how painful it was to recover from my last one), but I also don't want to take any more risk than I have to.  If I do rupture my uterus its catastrophic - as in baby most likely dies or ends us severely mentally handicapped.  Nice odds, huh?

So do I hope for natural labor and natural delivery by 37 weeks, or do I just not take any chances and tell my doctor I want a c-section no matter what, even if I do go into labor myself?  I just don't know what to do!

1 comment:

  1. That must’ve been a hard decision for you. I would be very upset had it happened to me. It’s never easy to make that decision, especially since you and your baby’s health were at risk. So, which option did you end up choosing? While it could’ve been difficult for you to decide, I hope your delivery went on smoothly, and that you didn’t have any complications or such.


    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney

    ReplyDelete