Saturday, March 31, 2012

Speech Therapy

Neil had his 18-mth check up last Friday (and I just realized it's time for his letter I'll do that next). Everything went well; he's well within his curve, he gross and fine motor skills are completely up to snuff.  The only thing is his speech.  He's a little behind and so his doctor recommended he do speech therapy. He's 20 months old (18 mths corrected age) and he only says 3-4 words:  moo (of course!), "nini", meaning "fini" (finished, in french), banana and dog. It's progress for sure, but he's a little behind. The doctor said she doesn't see any indication of a mental development issue (like autism, or a handicap), but that he probably just needs therapy to catch up.

So my head takes this all in rationally, but of course I can't help be emotional about it. We all want our babies to be "perfect" and to develop normally and not have any problems. But the reality of it is, and I can understand this perfectly, it's very often that things don't develop "perfectly".

So while I know he's going to be fine, it's still a little hard to take. Because he was a preemie, there's always been a fear in the back of my head that something's "wrong" with him.

I just have to remind myself: he didn't walk until 17 1/2 months; it will probably be the same with talking.

Right??

No comments:

Post a Comment