Thursday, February 7, 2013

An unsettling doctor's appointment


So I had an ultrasound today. This was a follow up appointment following my brief hospital stay 2 weeks ago.  They wanted to check my cervix via ultrasound to make sure there hadn't been any changes, basically to verify that I wasn't progressing towards preterm labor.

The technician did her measurements and then went to get the doctor.  He came back and told us that everything is looking good, but Snoop Dog is a little small for his gestational age - around 15th percentile. Apparently 2 weeks ago he was in the 27th percentile (according to the ultrasound measurements), so they're concerned that maybe he's not growing enough; not getting enough nourishment from the placenta.  If I was having a normal pregnancy they wouldn't be too concerned, but because of my history and what happened last time, they want to make sure he continues to grow and gets enough nourishment. The blood flow is still very strong through umbilical chord, but there is reason for cautiousness.
Which means: ultrasounds at the high risk clinic every Thursday until baby is born to follow his growth curve and make sure he's continuing to grow enough. Doctor said that if they find baby is not growing well (ie not getting right nourishment & not growing enough) they may opt to deliver him prematurely and have him finish his growth in the neo-natal. 
I don't know what to think.  The doctor didn't seem too concerned when explaining it all to me, but at the same time, isn't it hisjob not to make us worry?  And maybe it's more serious than he's setting it out to be?  Or, maybe it's not so bad and we just need to be followed closely.  I don't know.  It's so scary and frustrating because there's nothing I can do but wait.  Wait to see.  That's the hardest part.  I'm 29 weeks now; I just need to get through this week, then next week, then we're at 31 weeks, when Neil was born.
The last 2 weeks went by so slowly, how am I every going to get through the next 2 weeks?  The next 6 weeks?  The next 11 weeks? This is so hard.  I'm trying to stay as positive as I can, but ARGH!!!!!  I just want Snoop Dog to be healthy, and born as close to full term as possible.  The thought of him being in neo-natal for 7 weeks like Neil is just agonizing.  Those were some of the hardest weeks of our lives and, I don't know.  Anything is better than him not making it at all, and if it means him being in neo for several weeks so be it, but we were really encouraged and really feeling positive about it all and I really, honestly, truly believed we'd make it to 37 weeks.  Now, I'm just not so sure and I'm feeling very, very low about the whole thing.

2 comments:

  1. I wish I can help you to make your worries go away. You will be in my prayers and will hope for the very best for you and your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thoughts to you for these weeks ahead, each day is one day closer... (but I know how agonisingly slow they go too). xx Di

    ReplyDelete