Saturday, September 17, 2011

A big scare

My mom came to visit on Wednesday.  When she arrived we stopped at the pharmacy to pick us a new prescription for her for a slight lung infection she had.  Thursday morning she took the medication and immediately had an allergic reaction.  She went into anifelectic (sp?) shock.  I had to call the ambulance and she was rushed to hospital.  I was so scared.  From the time I called 911 to the time the ambulance came I was terrified.  She was breathing but I thought she was having a heart attack.  I thought I would have to do CPR - fortunately I know how.  Thankfully she never stopped breathing, but she did lose consciousness and was out of it.

When we arrived at the hospital she was covered in red rash, her mouth and tongue were swollen.  They had to give her a shot of epinephrine in her thigh to counteract the reaction.  It took several hours before she was any better.  It was terrifying.

And on top of that we were in the same hospital I delivered Riley.  So not only was I going through the terrifying event of my mother being in a life-threatening situation, but I had to relive my moments in hospital 3 weeks ago.  It was awful.  The pain, the memories all came rushing back.  I had a really hard time with it.  But I knew I had to focus on my mom and I tried to block the memories.  Not only that, but my husband was away for 3 days so he couldn't even be there for support.

My mom's fine now.  Shaken, but fine.  And me.  Well, I'm hanging in there.  Dealing with a long and tiring few days.  And the memories.  And knowing it's already been 3 weeks since Riley's death.  It feels like such a long time ago.  And it's like I don't want the time to go pass because the further we move on from that day, the further removed I feel from him.

No comments:

Post a Comment