Monday, September 12, 2011

Riley's Burial

Today we buried Riley.  Gosh it was so hard.  But it was the right thing to do and I got to be with him, physically, one last time.
I took this picture so I could remember it forever, the last moment he was close to me.  From now on it will be memories and his grave site where I will go to be with him.

It was such an emotional moment for us.  Once it was over I spoke to him for a while.  I told him he was safe now, that his spirit had been laid to rest.  I asked him to watch over Neil - to keep him safe, to not let anything happen to him, to help him have a happy and healthy life, to ensure he doesn't have any problems growing up.  I asked him to keep D. safe too.  And I just asked him to be happy and to know that we will always remember him and always love him.

And now that's it.  It was a really hard day, but I feel like a weight has been lifted off me.  I even found a quote, which felt right somehow:
"I though again of you today; even though that is not different than any other day.  Today I felt your peacefulness surround me when I needed it most and we lowered you into the ground."

There's something about the trees and the wind in the trees that makes me think of him.  It's like I feel his spirit around me when I see the wind rustling in the trees.  I guess it's feeling close to nature and knowing that Riley is in the most natural place and that he is always with us, in our hearts, in our natural surroundings.

Tomorrow is another day and I will try to be stronger.  Each day I cry, but each day I feel like I'm starting on my road to recovery.  the grief is still intense when it hits me, but I feel like I'm getting there.  I hope I'm getting there...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cat, just wanted to say that I'm really glad you started a blog. I'm still getting caught up on your posts. I feel close to Kayla when I'm around nature, too.

    I'm glad you made it through the day!

    ReplyDelete